St. Louis Church and School - Client Spotlight

St. Louis Church and School

St. Louis Church and School

Client Spotlight

Spreading Our Wings

St. Louis Catholic Church was founded in 1953 on 20 acres of land in the heart of Memphis, TN. Fr. Paul Clunan was the first pastor who served the parish for 35 years. During his time at St. Louis, Monsignor Clunan built the school and convent.

A committee of school staff, parish leaders, Finance Council members and development staff from both the parish and the diocese gathered in 2010 to look at the future needs of the school and parish to ensure that the mission of ministering to the needs of God's people would continue to be successfully carried out.

It had been almost 15 years since St. Louis had completed a capital campaign. During that time period, several additions and renovations were completed; however the current needs for both the church and school were more than the parish could pay on its own. In the 2011, St. Louis Church and School enlisted the help of The Compass Group to conduct a planning study to test a campaign goal of $8 million to pay for: the $4 million expansion and renovation to the school; the $2 million renovation to the church sanctuary; and the $2 million funding for endowment, campus parking and beautification efforts

The Spreading Our Wings Campaign was a huge success due in large part of the leadership of Monsignor John McArthur, the current pastor, and a dedicated group of parishioners. Highlights include new stained glass windows, altars and sound system in the church; a beautiful new junior high wing that includes learning labs, classrooms, and new equipment; and renovation the existing education facility built in the 1950’s. The Compass Group provided campaign counsel that enabled St. Louis to raise over $8.5 million in less than 18 months.

Spreading Our Wings Campaign

Credit: Askew Nixon Ferguson Architects in Memphis, TN and Yates Construction out of Mississippi.


© 2017 The Compass Group, Inc.